San Luis Valley Great Outdoors (SLV GO!) was originally formed in 2013 as a coalition by a group of citizens, educators, and community leaders who recognized the tremendous opportunity to enhance recreational experiences, improve wellness, and connect the communities across the six-county region of the San Luis Valley in southern Colorado. Today, SLV GO! has three full time staff members and a growing list of more than 140 volunteers and over 40 partners. SLV GO! gained 501(c)(3) status in April of 2018.
Practicing a collective impact model, we bring stakeholders together and provide leadership for effective collaboration among partners with shared goals. We are the only organization working collectively with nonprofits, businesses, federal agencies, and municipalities to improve health and quality of life via trails and outdoor recreation in the San Luis Valley.
Our mission is to provide residents and visitors throughout the San Luis Valley with accessible and inclusive outdoor recreation opportunities that balance conservation, connect communities, improve wellness, encourage stewardship, and contribute to the economic vitality of the region.
10 year Priorities
- Improve community wellness through enhanced in-town recreation facilities.
- Connect, expand, and enhance trail systems throughout the San Luis Valley.
- Grow more recreation programs and activities specifically tailored to San Luis Valley youth.
- Expand Water Based recreation.
- Expand opportunities for Winter Recreation.
- Promote San Luis Valleys recreation opportunities and increase information sharing about what there is to see and do in the San Luis Valley.
SLV GO! has 9 Tool Kits as part of our Master Plan that focuses on best practices from a variety of communities who have had successful trail and outdoor recreation projects.
- Shaping Recreation Destinations
- Building Healthier Communities
- Developing Trail Systems
- Realizing Trail Connections
- Connecting Youth and the Outdoors
- Balancing Recreation and Conservation
- Promoting Recreation
- Hosting Recreation Events
- Funding and Sustaining SLV Recreation
Check out this video of our 1st annual SLV GO! Mini-Conference on Outdoor Recreation and Economy created by our friends at Moxiecran Media!